Wednesday 21 January 2015

Review: Birdman (2014)




Birdman is one of the most highly praised films to come along in recent months. I had been very keen to see this. I did sit in wonder at the technical achievement of making this film look like it is all done in one take, but, I did not fall in love with the movie itself.

Keaton plays a former major star that is now mounting a Broadway play. He's on a comeback of sorts, and feels the need to ensure he's still somebody. He was the star of a hugely popular series of films - Birdman. I did like that Keaton played this role, it was almost like he was poking fun at himself (he was Batman), whilst the film seems to satirise or poke fun at everything else from actors, directors, producers, critics and the whole merry go round of that world. It is classed as a dark comedy. 

Keaton plays his role well, as do the mega support cast. We've got Emma Stone, Edward Norton, Naomi Watts, Zach Galifianakis and Andrea Riseborough all contributing with some great performances. The cinematography, as mentioned before, is very well handled. My mate was getting a bit sea sick at the start with all the camera movement and seemingly no cuts to shots, but, I had no issues with it. I sat there trying pick where the cuts were, as many have and will do. 

As a whole, I found the film interesting, but never really fell in love with what I was watching. I enjoyed the interactions Keaton has with each character, particularly his confrontations with Norton's character. In the end, my mate and I both looked at each other and were like "ok". I honestly didn't know what to think, and in some ways, I still don't. It is a bizarre film. A true arty farty type pic, with lots of potential analysis and discussion to be had. I may revisit on dvd sometime down the track, when all the hype has died down. For now though, I can appreciate the fuss, but it's not for me. 

Rating:

3 out of 5.


No comments:

Post a Comment