Friday 9 January 2015

Review: Big Hero 6 (2014)



Got to the cinema complex with seeing The Imitation Game as the reason for being there. A massive queue awaited us, and it was sold out. So, the only other film I was reasonably keen for (it was a toss up between Imitation and this) was Big Hero 6. I'd heard good things on social media. 

And well, it was like fate. I absolutely loved Big Hero 6. It was funny, fun, superbly animated and just had plenty of heart to it. You may have gathered, if you've read many of my reviews, I'm about the emotion sometimes. This just gave me the warm fuzzies, with a bit of a tear too. 

I had no idea what this film was about. I had seen a couple of short trailers a few months ago, so I knew it was about a kid and his marshmallow like robot. I thought, yeah, that looks cool. Our kid is Hiro, and he is a genius. A genius that is squandering his talent until his brother convinces him to try out for the same nerd school he attends. Right from the get go though, I was drawn in. Hiro plays around in the underground world of bot fighting. These early scenes of a futuristic city and cool toys had me glued. 

Hiro comes into contact with Baymax, his brother's invention. The two bond, sort of, and adventure ensues. Now, I'm glazing over major plots points, but, add in a bad guy to the mix, and this turns into a superhero adventure. This, I did not expect, so I was pleasantly surprised. 

The elements that make up the story all seem familar. There's probably nothing really original here, with influences from other similar genre pictures apparent. But, that didn't really bother me. I was really caught up in Hiro's journey, mainly because of his partnership with Baymax. Baymax is just the coolest robot we've ever seen (well, one of at least). He's the sidekick we'd all love to have. Cute, lovable and just damn neat. If he doesn't warm your heart, then you're a cold son of a bitch. 

Although you could complain about originality, you just got to let go and have fun with it. I really enjoyed myself watching this film. It's got plenty of heart to it (there I go again) and is excellent entertainment for all ages. 

Rating:

4.5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment