Sunday 1 February 2015

Review: American Sniper (2014)


Well, this film is certainly doing some bumper business at the U.S. box office. In some ways, I can see why, but really, I don't think it is because of the film being great - because it is not.

I like Eastwood as a director - he's made some pretty damn good movies. This one, although it is good, seems to be lacking a bit. The action is fine, with some scenes being quite intense, but the emotional hit I was expecting wasn't there. It is certainly a film that is trying to convey the PTSD that Chris Kyle was working his way through, but I feel as though it did it at a surface level. Whenever the opportunity to explore it came up, we're going back to war. It wasn't until the end where I felt the emotional side really start to resonate.

The film itself is well acted by Cooper. I don't know if it is Oscar worthy good, but, he's definitely doing some of his best work here. Sienna Miller as his wife probably didn't have much to work with. I didn't feel anything special from her - solid, but nothing outstanding. The rest of the cast are all merely support roles, with no one in particular being a standout - this is Cooper's show.

In the end, it felt similar to The Hurt Locker in some ways, although I think that movie is better overall. This one is a solid film, with a mostly quality production (you may spot the reason for me saying mostly). The story is occasionally very gung-ho, but does try to balance that out with the horror of war for the soldiers involved (even if mostly for the American soldier aspect). Chris Kyle's story is a very interesting one, but the film was perhaps a bit too cold for me to really get engaged with.

Rating:

3 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment