Monday 23 February 2015

Review: Jupiter Ascending (2015)



The Wachowski's have pulled off a feast for the eyes. This film has to be one of the most visually splendid movies I have ever seen. The attention to detail is astonishing, and the ideas behind it are fantastic.

So how does it fair story wise - I think it is pretty good. As you get further along, you will have some questions for sure. I think there could have been another 20 or 30 mins in there to really do the story and character's a bit more service (and the audience), but overall I really enjoyed what they did.

Kunis is Jupiter Jones. She is the heir to the world of Earth. Part of a long line of rulers in the universe, her DNA holds the key to our future. Tatum is her protector. Sent to Earth to bring her back to the 'aliens' home planet, he will stop at nothing to do his duty. That is a really simple breakdown of the story, as there is a few layers to it.

Some say it gets a bit muddled. It kind of does, but, as I said above, I think it just needed a bit more runtime to flesh it out a tad more or give some closure to some threads - considering they're touching on quite a bit of story in the first place. The flipside to that is it could have been cut down and more streamlined. But, that wouldn't be the Wachowski's. I think it went pretty well for the first 2/3 to 3/4, then it started to drop in coherence.

The film is being bagged out a fair bit - I think it is unwarranted. Is this the best Wachowski film? No. Is it anywhere near their best? Not quite. Is it occasionally cheesy space lunacy? Yes. Is it the kind of film you should go with the flow and have some fun with? Fucken aye.

The Wachowski's have constructed a balls-out space opera with a story I would like to see continued. Unfortunately, it looks like we won't. I will be happy to relive it in glorious Full HD Bluray though. I wonder if there will be a longer cut? I hope so.

Rating:

3.5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment