Saturday 16 May 2015

Review: Blackhat (2015)




When news of this film hit, I was quite excited in the expectation of another Michael Mann film. Then, just before release here in Australia, it gets pulled. WTF!!

Reviews essentially pulled this film apart, and the box office was practically naught - so I can understand why distributors didn't even bother. But, this is a Michael Mann film, so what the hell is going on with not releasing this theatrically?

Well, I finally found out why. It is nowhere near the level of film that we're used to from this great director. He's responsible for one of my favourites - Heat - as well some other great films in The Last of the Mohicans, The Insider, Ali, Collateral, Miami Vice, and to a lesser degree Public Enemies, Manhunter and Thief. Even those last 3 are quite good. This film, damn, it is barely good.

Sometimes I feel I am being generous by giving it 3 stars, but, if you were to take the Michael Mann factor and expectation out of it, then you would think it was a good flick. Well filmed, some tense action scenes, decent story.

However, as a Mann flick, it seems to lack a great script, and well drawn out characters. Once of key elements to Mann films is a real fleshing out of character arcs - it's all in the dialogue. Here, that barely resonated with me. I wanted to feel something for these characters, inc the main guy played by Chris Hemsworth - but I just didn't feel it. You know you're loving a film when you get caught up in the world and the stories of the characters - and the only way to really do that is with a good script. Sure, there are plenty of films that you can love without there being much dialogue at all, I know that, but even here we're not given much to feel in the way these characters are portrayed.

For the most part, it is a good film, just disappointing that Mann didn't pull off a great one. Maybe a revisit down the track one day might be different.

Rating:

3 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment