Sunday 6 April 2014

Cinema Etiquette

I finally cracked it today - got up out of my seat to tell a couple of young idiots to shut up. Now, I've been to the cinema hundreds of times. I've sat in some pretty bad crowds, and you can usually rely on others to do the shushing. However, today, I found myself sitting a few seats down from a young boy and girl (perhaps mid to late teens), that just wouldn't shut up. 

Now, I don't know about you, but, I like to watch movies in peace. I pay my money, I don't really want to be hearing your conversation throughout an entire film. I understand that people will occasionally say things to each other in a film, and that is fine. Hell, I am guilty of it myself, especially with some mates. But, they're not conversations.

So, I got into my session of Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and the best seats I could find happened to be up the back corner - well, on the side, but near the corner. Now, I also like to not sit next to anyone, in front, side or back. I feel, if there is room, then why do that. That gets difficult in a packed cinema. This one, the movie was not packed, but the seating was mostly packed in the centre. So, I went to the side, chose a seat, but it was all fucked up. You know, the seat that has been bashed so many times it is now a rocking chair. So, I moved, and went back one row to the absolute back. It was a good spot. No one in front, behind (obviously) or directly to my sides.

I sat down, and I looked at these two squished into the corner, and thought to myself, these fuckers are just going to talk and talk. They were already talking a lot in ads and trailers, which is acceptable. Lights go down, movie starts - still talking. Hmmm....ok, how long do I give them. I even ask my patient partner "How long should I give them?". My patient partner doesn't really respond, but just gives me that look of "You're not patient enough to wait long".

So, the film gets going, I am glued to the screen, but I find I am severely distracted by this fucking conversation going on to my left. I look over, they're giggling and playing with the phone. Looking at shit, and talking about it. Man, I was fuming. I have anger control issues for sure, and these guys were sent to test me. I'm also finding now that I am not as glued to the screen with what is going on as I should be - I'm now playing over in my head what I want to, at the very least, say to these kids.

Just as my partner turns her head to request them to be quiet, I just get up, walk over and say "I paid money to see this, so for two hours, shut up".  The guy is like, yeah, sorry. I sit down, and go back to trying to enjoy this film. 

Cut to ten mins, or barely that, later. Talking again. Conversations about what they're looking at on the phone. Are you fucking kidding me man! My entire experience of watching The Avengers was ruined because of no less than 8 teens having a full on meeting in the movie. I wasn't about to let that happen again. The question here is: Do I go all bad ass and break the kids face? I in turn get arrested and lose my job. Do I get the attendant to make an appearance to get them to be quiet? This probably won't work either. So, I scoped out different seats we could easily get to, and we moved. From then on, I could actually focus on enjoying what I was paying to see. But, yes, I could still hear them occasionally. I didn't bother going back up to say anything, as clearly the kid/s are lacking in brain activity. For all I know, he and she could be A grade students and the future of our world, but for some reason lack any social intelligence.

The questions I have out of this experience and many others in the past - Why do people, mainly teens, in couples or groups, go to the movies to only talk right through it? What the fuck is wrong with them? You want to talk, go to a cafe, restaurant, park, someone's house, your car, bedroom, or anything where you will not be annoying others with conversation. It's a fucking cinema you degenerate morons!

I can understand that you want to hang with your friends, catch up, laugh, flirt, play with each other, and fuck knows what else, but there is a time and place. The lack of respect for others in society through this basic activity is grating.

What say you people of the world? Or at least the people that happen to see this random post.




3 comments:

  1. Agreed. Shut your pie hole at the movies. If some turkey is having a yarn you've gotta get in early and tell him to shut up using your biggest bogan voice. If that doesn't work move seats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beyond me why people pay £8 for a movie ticket and talk right through it. Why waste your money?! It's super annoying for those of us that actually want to experience the film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. If you want to chat, it's cheaper to go to a cafe than waste dollars on a movie ticket.

      Delete