Saturday 23 January 2016

Review: The Hateful Eight (2015)


I've recently completed a full rewatch of QT's feature filmography. This man really does know how to write some interesting dialogue. His love for cinema is most definitely evident, and that love just becomes more and more obvious with each film. 

His latest, The Hateful Eight, is his eighth feature film - Kill Bill is officially considered 1 film, but I consider it to be 2. This film sees the return of some of Tarantino's all-stars with Jackson, Russell, Roth and Madsen. The rest of the cast is rounded out with Jennifer Jason Leigh, Walton Goggins, Bruce Dern and Demian Bichir. Everybody here is fine form, with particular standouts being Jackson, Goggins and Russell. Leigh is nominated for best supporting actress, and she is pretty good, but I don't know if it is oscar nominated worthy. 

I have to say I had a good time with this film. There are some very funny character interplays and some damn funny dialogue. Here comes the but though.....But, the length of this film is probably a bit over done, the freshness and sumptuousness nature of his previous films isn't quite felt here either. Although the dialogue is very good, QT has done better. There wasn't any sort of exchange that I felt I walked away with sticking in my head. That is not to say this is a forgettable film, but I don't feel this one being one that people will come back to a lot - or myself at least. I may eat these words - time will tell. I did feel similar with Django after one viewing - after a second, I fucking loved it. At this point, I don't feel like watching it again for quite some time. 

I was never bored though. Yes, it felt a little long here and there, but the story and script have a way of keeping you interested and keeping the film evolving. There is a distinct feeling between the first half and the second half of this film. It is the second half that pulled this film over the line for me. You can feel something is coming. The pieces, like chess, are being put into place for some sort of revelation or grand finale.

Technically, this film is spot on. That sort of aspect of QT's films you don't have to worry about. The cinematography is great, the music is powerful (hello to the legendary Ennio Morricone) and the overall setup is well staged. In fact, I definitely can see how this could be done as a stageplay. It is a particularly violent film (as you would expect these days), but the part that surprised me the most is the amount of times the 'N' word is used. I mean, I expected it, but fucking hell, he's wearing that word out completely. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but it is very noticeable in how frequent it is used. 

Overall, this is an enjoyable film, but be prepared for the long haul. A rewatch before the end of the year may put it in the top films of the year list for me, but as at now, no.

3.5/5




No comments:

Post a Comment