Monday 29 December 2014

Review: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014)



Well, I rewatched Part 1 and 2 in the last week, and actually enjoyed them more than what I did at the cinema. Perhaps the expectations I put on some films hampers my initial viewing. That kind of happened again with this - so, I look forward to rewatching it on bluray one day and perhaps changing my rating higher.

The shortest of all the Peter Jackson Middle-Earth films, this is also probably the last. I found it to perhaps spend too much time on Thorin's issues at the start, but, once it gets going, it is a thrill ride. Jackson certainly knows how to showcase battles in Middle-Earth, and this is epic stuff. There's plenty of individual fights to sink your teeth into as well - I particularly loved seeing Legolas back in action.

There's really not a helluva lot to talk about with this one - there is no continuing of the journey, it's basically a massive battle film. I like how the stories and events kind of link in with the previous LOTR trilogy. I'm sure there are some continuity issues, but nothing stands out to me at this point.

All the character's come full circle, with The Hobbit himself being a completely different character to what he started out to be - he's gone from scaredy cat to a true adventurer. All the character's introduced or touched on in the previous 2 films get some sort of look in here, even if for only a few seconds. If I had a little gripe, it would be that some of the orcs and other dastardly character's seem more CGI'd than before, but, I could be just nitpicking way too much.

All up, I do like the LOTR trilogy more, but that could be because of one particular character I liked a lot - Aragorn. He was just so fucking cool. This film and the other 2 are solid entertainment. It is amazing how they squeezed so much out of one book. I hated the book by the way, it was just so boring. The films are far better.

Rating:

3.5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment