Sunday 27 October 2013

Captain Phillips Review (No Spoilers)





One problem I have with reading about and following film talk so much is that I can get caught up in expectation. That is, if a film is reviewing very well, I can expect that I will automatically love it as well. Then, what happens is that I go watch it, and only end up thinking it was good, not great. That’s how I feel about Captain Phillips. Actually, let me get this straight at least, it’s very good, but I didn’t love it.

However, when left feeling like this, I struggle with my rating. So, let’s run through the key points before rating.

Acting – excellent. Tom Hanks really is a pro. He’s a legend basically. That is saying a lot, but come on, it’s fucken Tom Hanks. He’s been around for ages, done varying roles, and, in the end, has made some pretty damn good films. He really puts in the effort to give a convincing portrayal for anything he’s in. There is a reason why he has won 2 academy awards for best actor. The supporting cast are all very good, with the actors playing the Somali pirates very convincingly.

Production – Pretty much the entire film takes place at sea, with production being on a real life container ship and other sea vessels. The production value overall is very high, which is what you would expect with this calibre of talent on and off the screen. Paul Greengrass is best known for the 2nd and 3rd Bourne films. He knows what he’s doing with films like this. However, don't go in expecting a Bourne film...think more United 93 instead.

Story – based on a true story, it’s a very interesting story of survival. Although you may know the ending, the series of events that unfold are quite tense. A friend of mine thought the ending played out a little too Hollywood-ish, but, that is a minor issue. I actually thought it was fine. Didn’t bother me.

Overall – The film is indeed very good. I found some of the pacing was a bit off towards the middle, and perhaps it could have been about 15 to 20 mins shorter - just to tighten it up a bit. But, it’s also hard to say where they could have cut it. There’s plenty of character development in this, so I shouldn’t really complain about length. I’m not sure I’d ever watch it again though, but, in a few years, you never know.

Rating:

4 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment