Sunday 29 September 2013

Dexter S8 Review **Contains Spoilers**



One of my absolute favourite shows has been Dexter. Such a well written, well acted and thrilling show. Sadly, it has come to an end. I'll have to admit, this season was a little lack lustre to begin with, but became quite taunt towards to the end. In fact, the best season was probably season 4, with the great John Lithgow playing the villain. The ending to that season was astonishing to say the least - real shocking stuff. I can't really put my finger on why this season didn't feel that great. Perhaps my semi knowledge of the end being disappointing was effecting my ability to just sit back and enjoy - instead I may have over analysed everything that was happening to predict the ending.

Michael C Hall has been great as Dexter, a sort of anti-hero. He's a guy that kills people, but only bad people - people he deems not worthy to live. So, is he not a bad guy for killing them? Well, he is, but we love him for it. And perhaps that is why the ending is so wishy washy. Ultimately, he probably should have died at the end of series. He should have been exposed for what he really was, and put to rest himself. 

But, I am happy as well that he lives. However, the final sequences were just a little bit detached. It's almost like the writers didn't know how to really finish it. Like they were lost themselves, as Dexter seems to be. What were they trying to say with that ending? That he could come back? Great, he didn't die in the storm on the boat, but he's pretty much dead anyways? Maybe they could have had him hunting a new prey in this isolated town - as though he is starting again, with no one close to him that could get hurt or killed.

In the end, I have to look on the show as a whole. Each season has been enjoyable, with some better than others. I would relish the chance to see Dexter come back - even if to have another go at that ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment