Monday 30 September 2013

Breaking Bad Series Review **Contains Spoilers**



Before you read on, just another reminder that this article contains spoilers.

Ok, if you've made it this far, you want to read this. You may not like what I have to say though. Breaking Bad is not my favourite show - hell, it wouldn't even make my top 10 list. Don't even ask me what that would be made up of though. I haven't made an actual list. 

Anyways, I started to watch this show purely because of the hype. I think I sat down to start this show about a year ago. Everyone had been going on about it, with lots of calls back then saying it is the best show on tv. And, people are still saying that. The first couple of seasons were a challenge to get through. I kept on with it because I actually really wanted to see how it all ends up. I figured it must at least get better. And, you know what, it did. But, I still didn't find it as gripping as other shows I have loved - not until the end.

Seasons 4 and 5 are by far the best. But, you have to watch it from the start to actually see the main characters descent into evil. On a whole, it really is quite amazing to see the transformation of a mild mannered chemistry teacher into a lying, murderous bastard. 

So, is the end befitting the show? Well, it is. Unlike the odd ending for Dexter, which probably didn't go the way it should have (see my previous blog entry), this ending is a damn sight more surefooted. It knows exactly what story threads it needs to tie up, and how the characters should be dealt with. I love the way he 'dealt' with his former Gray Matter colleagues. The scenes of him saying goodbye to his family are touching. We finally get to see that realisation in the character that he has lost everything and will never get it back - nothing he can say will bring the family back together. No more lies, just truth. But, the truth won't save him. It will only serve the people he leaves behind.

The final scenes in the club house are pretty cool, with a car central locking system put to great use. - say hello to his little friend. The final moments between Jessie and Walter are good. Not much said, because really, they've said all they need to say to each other plenty of times before. Walter cares for him, Jessie hates him, but is not a killer. I'm glad he didn't pull that trigger. It just wouldn't have been right for his character. And yes, in the end, Walt does die (a casualty of his own final revenge). It was a good ending, and although the show is not a favourite, it's sad to think we'll not see anymore of these characters. Breaking Bad, you won me over.

No comments:

Post a Comment