Saturday 29 June 2013

Man of Steel Review (No Spoilers)



Usually, each year I have up to a handful of films that I really look forward to seeing. This year, the most anticipated for me has been Man of Steel (followed by Iron Man 3). Since the announcement of a film being made, with a story by Christopher Nolan and David Goyer, the excitement levels have been slowly elevating. When I saw the first preview, I was creaming in my pants - it was epic. Today, that culminated in finally being able to see the finished product. 

Before I get into what I thought of the film, let me mention my thoughts about the choice of director. Zack Snyder, responsible for 300, Watchmen, Legend of the Guardians and Sucker Punch. I've seen all of these except Legend. 300, I have watched once entirely, and found it to be average. Sure, the visuals were impressive, but the engagement factor was quite low. I tried to watch it again once, and ended up turning it off. I want to give it another go, just to make sure, but am in no hurry. Watchmen I saw at the cinemas, and quite enjoyed it. I have the extended edition at home (yet to watch), and am looking forward to sitting down and watching that. Sucker Punch, oh my god, this was a bad movie. Great action scenes, but absolutely no story at all. Well, there was a story, but it was too basic. Anyways, overall, when it was announced that this man was to helm the Superman reboot, I was really scared about the final product. Even though C Nolan and D Goyer are involved, could Z Snyder screw the pooch? Sucker Punch style, or just make a boring film like 300?

Well, it turns out, he has delivered the goods. Man of Steel is a very enjoyable movie, and pretty much just awesome all round. Great new take on the Superman we all know. Superman from 1978 is a classic, and considered a benchmark in superhero films. This film doesn't try to follow that style, but re-envisions the character with a more serious tone. There is no comedy here. Sure, there are some funny parts, but this is dark and real. Not Batman dark though. These two characters in themselves are very different. 

Henry Cavill is an absolutely perfect piece of casting. It is really difficult to picture anyone else in this film as Superman. He hasn't taken the mantle from Christopher Reeve, but his take is excellent, and I look forward to seeing him don the suit once again. The entire cast is epic really. You've got two of cinemas greats playing the fathers - Russell Crowe as Jor-El, and Kevin Costner as Jonathan Kent. I love both these actors, and they are excellent in their respective roles. If you haven't put it together, yes, both of Clark Kent's dads are Robin Hood. I was initially hesitant about Amy Adams as Lois Lane, mainly because I thought she would be too old for the part, but, she is great. Michael Shannon as General Zod - pretty menacing bad guy. 

Visuals are great. These days though, most movies like this with budgets have pretty good special effects. There's no excuse not to really. If you have a big tent pole pic, the special effects should be top class. The action is aplenty in this movie, but there are still character moments that draw you in emotionally. There's a particular scene that impacted me quite heavily, even when thinking about it afterward. I knew then, that I was really drawn into this movie and the world that's been created. 

So, how did it measure up for something I was anticipating so much? Not a let down at all. Didn't exceed, but, with a lot of mixed reviews lately, I went in a little scared at what I was about to see. I enjoyed this more than Iron Man 3, but perhaps not as much as Star Trek Into Darkness. But, the tones of those films were quite different. Bring on Man of Steel 2.

Rating:

4.5 out of 5. (Epic)

No comments:

Post a Comment