Sunday 8 October 2017

Review: Blade Runner 2049 (2017)


I didn't get around to seeing Blade Runner (1982) until a few years ago. I don't recall loving it the first time around, and after another 2 visits I still don't know if I love the movie. I do however think it is very well made, mainly for the visuals and dystopian world that was built. Great score too.

Despite that, I have been anticipating the sequel for quite some time. Mainly because of the director involved - Denis Villeneuve. The man has some beautifully crafted films under his belt before this one. That alone was reason enough to be excited. If you've seen Prisoners, Sicario and Arrival, then you know what I mean.

Denis has not disappointed here. Blade Runner 2049 is a breathtaking film. The special effects and cinematography by Roger Deakins are just flawless. I could watch this film over and over again just to analyse the detail in the future Los Angeles that Denis has expertly expanded on from the original. You will think this is all real.

The story is a natural and logical progression from the first film, but you probably can get away with having not seen the first. The run-time is a massive 163 mins, which can be a test. That's 45 or so mins longer than the first, and people can find that one slow. This is also slow, but never dull. This movie is not an action film. There is action, but it is minimal. This film is about the journey of the characters and the mystery being solved. Even though it takes its time, I was never bored. I was entranced and enjoying the sumptuous delights that were being displayed on screen. This is true science fiction.

I haven't touched on what the actual story is, and don't really want to. It is best to just enjoy the ride without knowing too much. I'm in love with this film for the visuals and world building as well. Even more than the first one. The rest of it will take some further viewings, as there is a bit more to unpack about the story and how it was told. I have felt that way about plenty of films before. Films that I am not sure how to feel about initially, but I know that further visits will be rewarding. This is because they deliver so much, it takes time to fully process. Some examples of films like that for me have been The Dark Knight and Inception. Those two are from another master of the craft working today - Christopher Nolan. Both he and Denis are a couple of the best filmmakers working today.

Blade Runner 2049 is quality on all fronts. An impressive cast and a riveting sound design. The score by the great Hans Zimmer and Benjamin Wallfisch isn't as transcendent as the original by Vangelis, but it is effective. Make sure you check it out on a big screen with a great sound system. Don't be bored, because you're witnessing something beautiful unfold before your eyes. Films like this don't come along often enough. I look forward to watching this again - and again.

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment