Sunday 3 July 2016

Review: The BFG (2016)



Steven Spielberg is an icon of cinema. Pretty much my favourite director for a long long time, he has delivered some remarkably varied films.

Here Spielberg draws on his immense talent to bring to life a classic children's story. Admittedly, I don't think I have ever read the story, but I do know of it.

The BFG is the 'Big Friendly Giant', played brilliantly by Mark Rylance using motion capture. He is discovered by Sophie, an orphan that likes to wander during the night in the orphanage she stays in. Sophie is played by newcomer Ruby Barnhill.

The film is a very family friendly fantasy adventure. I have no idea how close it is to the structure of the book, but it is a beautifully realised adaptation. I wish I could say it is a great film though, but unfortunately it is not. The actual story and progression of it is missing a bit in the first half. I felt like it was almost going nowhere until the plot takes a turn about mid way. From then on, it shifts a gear and becomes more enjoyable. The pairing of Rylance with a great debut by Barnhill, and the direction from a man that definitely knows what he is doing in this genre provides an overall magical film going experience.

3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment