Monday 4 August 2014

TMTW July 2014 Review

A common format, it seems, amongst other bloggers of film and tv, is to recap at the end of each month. I caught onto this through seeing posts by fellow twitter peeps, and thought I would give it a go myself. So, here is my first monthly recap of film and tv.

This month I watched 23 films, which includes 4 rewatches. TV wise, I probably didn't track like I should have, but I will try to list those I continued, finished and started. 

Of the 23, my recommendations would be anything I rate 3 or more out of 5. For me, 3 stars is a good film, worth watching once. These can be for various reasons, which I won't go into here, as that is probably a separate blog entry. I will list below the films based on star ratings. I will do an alphabetical order within these ratings. 

Films


5 star films

None this month.

4.5 star films

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (review here)

4 star films

Ferris Bueller's Day Off (rewatch)
The Lego Movie
Locke
Mission Impossible (rewatch)
Rise of the Planet of the Apes (rewatch)
Tracks

3.5 star films

Bad Words
Blue Ruin
Cocaine Cowboys Reloaded (Documentary)
Lethal Weapon 3 (rewatch)
Only Lovers Left Alive
Thanks for Sharing
The Wedlock

3 star films

Cold in July
Grudge Match
Insidious Chapter 2
Joe
Red 2
Sabotage
Under the Skin (review here)

I usually write a short review for most films, with major blog entries for some. My short reviews can be found here on letterboxd.com

TV


I watch a lot of different shows, so remembering what I was watching in July is a bit tricky. The obvious ones are True Blood and 24. I started The Strain, The Americans (S1) and Rectify (S1). Recitfy is definitely the pick of the new shows for me this month. Smashed the first season in a few days, whereas The Americans I'm plodding my way through. The Strain is interesting, with excellent details to the horror effects and an interesting mythology. It may be a tad cheesy though. We'll see how the rest of S1 goes. Continued on with True Blood S7, which has been a complete change of pace from previous seasons. It will be damn interesting to see how this all ends in August. 24 finished it's Live Another Day season, which was ok in the end. Not a fantastic season like it's regular 24 ep presentations, but solid entertainment. I hope they bring it back...again.

Seasons I finished were The Bridge (S1) and Penny Dreadful (S1). Both were good, especially towards the latter halves of the seasons. I'll revisit next seasons for both those. And, finally, a show I am currently in is S2 of The Following. S1 was great, but this season has been just ok. It's almost redeveloping itself, so things are still ramping up. I'm up to ep 8.

Thanks for reading. Share your thoughts and/or recommendations below.  

No comments:

Post a Comment