Monday 2 June 2014

X-Men: Days of Future Past - Additional Thoughts

I rewatched this a week after seeing it for the first time. Mainly because I had mixed feelings on the first viewing. I now know why - what bugged me was the lack of action sequences. I know, a picky bug bear. This x-men film is like a superhero drama, which studies at a character level the consequences of our actions, and how we as humanity can learn to live and tolerate each other - regardless of differences.

This is all great, but, the exciting action set pieces aren't there to balance it out. Sure, there's the amazing kitchen scene and the finale is pretty good. However, it is mainly backed up by a lot of talking. Again, I don't mind this, but for me, a tent pole X-Men film needs to bring it, and this just falls short.

It still a very very good movie, and it does well to incorporate story threads from all films, but, it is behind First Class and X2 as far as excitment is concerned. Perhaps, after a few more viewings, I may change my mind, but for now, this is how i feel about it.

See also my original review from a week before here: http://toomuchtowatch.blogspot.com.au/2014/05/review-x-men-days-of-future-past.html

No comments:

Post a Comment