Sunday 25 May 2014

Review: Frozen



Well, I started out a little skeptical with this film. Ever since its release, I've heard how great it is. Then it goes on to make over $1bn at the box office, wins best animated film and best song at the Oscars. My interest was starting to increase. 

I'd had it in my mind to watch, and then my partner says she really wants to see it. So, we finally sat down to watch it this weekend. I have to say, I loved it. My initial skepticism was regarding the song and dance. But, once all the characters are in play here, it turns into a beautifully constructed movie. This is one for all ages I would say - I'm a 34 yo male with no kids. 

We're introduced into the world of two princesses, Elsa and Anna. Elsa has a special power - she shoots ice from her hands - hence the title. As kids, while playing, Elsa injures Anna, leaving her near death. To keep herself and her sister safe from harm, she closes off her relationship with her sister. This is all in the first 10 or so mins. From there, we pick up the story as they hit their late teens. 

Initially I felt as though I'm watching another film about mutants. Earlier that day I had seen Days of Future Past. But, this is so much more. The story is full of love, acceptance, adventure, humour, friendships and of course...magic! (mutant powers). Come to think of it, DOFP is full of the same - in a way.

My two favourite characters were Sven, the trust Reindeer Steed and Olaf the Snowman. Both of these smaller parts helped to round out the human characters. I loved how Kristoff has conversations with Sven, pretending to put on the voice of Sven. Olaf was just so funny. 

I didn't mind the musical scenes. Even though there a few, they're not overly long. And, the Oscar winning 'Let It Go' is very catchy.

Overall, this film is a must see for everyone. It's not perfect, but it does extremely well in teaching the audience the fundamentals of life and love (be kind and love one another, no matter how different), wrapped up in a very enjoyable Disney package. 

Rating:

4.5 out of 5.




No comments:

Post a Comment