Sunday 22 December 2013

Ender's Game Review (No Spoilers)




It's been a while since my last post. A combination of busy weeks and laziness is to blame. There is never really anything not to write about, it's just about gettiing around to pouring my thoughts out onto the keyboard. But remember, I do publish shorter rewiews on facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/TooMuchToWatch

A couple of weeks ago I checked out Ender's Game. I love sci fi, in any form really - I also love that dystopian future we occasionally get to see in films. Following on from Oblivion earlier this year, this is another pretty cool take on the genre. However, this movie is based on a popular novel from the mid 80's by author Orson Scott Card. I know nothing about this book or the author, so won't even comment on that work or recent news stories about him. The film follows kids, around early to mid teen, that are in training to fight our new enemy - an ant-like alien species known as the Formics. The Formics almost wiped us out, and now, we have gathered these elite youngsters to be our last hope against annihilation. 

The cast is led by Asa Butterfield as Ender Wiggin - weird name. He does a stellar job as the chosen one - the one to lead the army of young soldiers into battle. This film is not your typical kids film - it has a darker edge to it. Asa is supported well by the likes of Harrison Ford, Viola Davis and Ben Kingsley. Although, I did find it weird that Ben Kingsley plays a Maori, even with a solid Kiwi accent. Why not just get a Maori actor - no star power? I know, plenty of actors have played characters from other backgrounds - this one urked me a little. I do love Ben Kingsley though.

The production and future technology in this film are excellent, and the story of Ender's rise from the academy cadet to leader of the resistance (no, this is not Star Wars) is interesting, if not cliched. Overall, I enjoyed this movie, and would be interested to see where the story goes in a potential sequel.

Rating:

3.5 out 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment