Saturday 3 September 2011

Reality TV


Out of the all the topics i could have chosen to talk about first, i choose one i loathe. We have several free-to-air stations to choose from these days. I find that they are regularly showing some sort of stupid ass reality program. I can literally flick through channel after channel and only find shows regarding home renovation, competition cooking, social experimenting and so on. Every category is catered for these days, so much so it's extremely difficult to find decent drama, action or comedy shows on air in peak viewing time. I'm not talking about watching shite like 'Home and Away' and 'Neighbours' as being my choice of quality peak time drama either. The only comedies that seem to be on are fricken cartoons....sorry you Simpsons, Futurama and the like lovers. For fucks sake, how much reality do we need on tv, that we don't contend with in everyday life. 

I don't really know if i'm in a minority or majority re my hate for reality tv, but to me it seems as though we're headed to the point where peak time viewing will be only about camera crews following people around in their every day lives. I'll probably end up on tv watching myself write blogs. wtf?!!

In some ways, i don't care, because it gives me the chance to catch up on shows i've got on dvd or download. Don't get me wrong, some reality tv is decent enough to watch - i don't mind a bit of 'Motorway Patrol' or 'The Force', but i don't get fucking hard-on for it each week, ala Master Chef fanatics.....ooooooh fuck yeah, what are they cooking for us this week. That's right folks, this weeks challenge is to boil water without burning it!

Right now on tv is a repeat of '24'. Perhaps one of my top ten best shows ever on tv. That's another topic...

No comments:

Post a Comment